Our customer in the telecom sector, is looking for a Data Scientist, someone who is comfortable in the broad big data analytics spectrum and has an affinity with location analytics.
Who are we?
Our department is located within the Enterprise Business Unit (EBU). With our department “Applications, Things and Analytics (ATA)”, we are building innovative solutions within the domain of IoT, big data, safe cities and new communication technologies for different industries (Retail, Industry automation, Smart Building, Transport and Utilities). For location analytics in particular, we are in charge of delivering location-based insights to businesses (B2B), using different big data sources (mobile network data, IOT data, camera data, contextual data) and open data.
What do we do?
We deliver reports to tourist organisations, cities and communities, government, retailers. We generate aggregated results sets that contain information about unique visitors per location or amount of journeys to, from or within a location. Some examples you might have heard from: we monitored the start of the Tour de France in Brussels and the Ronde Van Vlaanderen, we analysed visitors of Spa Francorchamps, we measure tourism at the Belgian coast…
The ‘Applications, Things and Applications – ATA’ team is looking for a new team member who is comfortable in the broad big data analytics spectrum and has an affinity with location analytics.
Together with your colleagues, you will be in charge of delivering location-based insights to businesses (B2B), using telecom big data sources, third party data and open data.
One of your main assignments will be enhancing our extrapolation method for foreigners and present the progress of this project frequently to one of our clients (in Dutch).
You contribute to the overall efficiency of the team by developing data marts and procedures that further automate the delivery of recurrent reports and analysis, from data extraction to visualisation. Testing and validating your own work is a natural reflex to you.
You will also be a driving force in the on-going mission to implement and maintain best practices like code versioning, release cycles and state-of-the-art tooling. You will be working together closely with the IT department.
You support the team with translating business requests into big data requirements and extract the needed big data from multiple data sources to perform your analyses. You help transforming the data into meaningful insights for external customers, supporting their strategic decision making.
You explore and examine data from multiple disparate sources, go through all incoming data with the goal of discovering a previously hidden insight. You do not simply collect and report on data, but also look at it from many angles, determine what it means, and then you recommend ways to apply the data. There will be lots of opportunity to research and drive innovation by digging into our challenging data sources.
It would be an advantage to have some visualisation skills (e.g. dashboard creation) to support the team in presenting results for customers.
You present your results and conclusions, discuss them with multi-functional project teams (marketing, project management, Solution Sales, …) and communicate to a technical as well as non-technical audience.
• You have a master’s degree in a quantitative oriented discipline: data science, computer science, geography, engineering, mathematics, statistics, economics or related field.
• Expert knowledge in:
o Python (and data wrangling libraries like Pandas).
o SQL (Postgres, Hive, SparkSQL).
o Data analysis.
• Solid knowledge & experience in:
o Cloud: Azure stack, Databricks, ADF, API’s.
o Big Data: Hadoop, Spark, Hive, HDFS.
o Software engineering: Linux, GIT, JIRA.
o Risk assessment on privacy flaws in data and understanding and caring about the privacy rules and legislation, internal and external.
• Nice to have knowledge & experience in:
o Mobile networks or telecom.
o Geo-Spatial Analytics: QGIS, Postgis, geo Python libraries.
o Visualisation tools: viz Python libraries or dashboarding software like Cumul.io or PowerBI.
o Experience with the Airflow scheduling software.
o Machine Learning capabilities (we currently have use cases in anomaly detection and clustering).
• You have a good mix of technical / IT skills (to dig into large volumes of (un)structured data) and business skills (to understand requirements of marketing, product management, strategy). You can bridge data, technology and business questions.
• You love researching, measuring, analysing and quantifying things. You spontaneously look for patterns in data. You like precision but you are not afraid to make an educated guess.
• You are good at visualizing data and making impactful presentations. You can easily express your ideas in writing or in meetings, also to non-data experts.
• You are a team player and you stay cool under pressure in peak times.
• You allocate your time efficiently and can manage several projects in parallel.
• You are fluent in Dutch, English and have a minimum base of French.